Here’s a rundown of how best-in-sector Canadian corporations earn their clean revenue:
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp earned 61% of its revenues from the generation of wind and solar energy, and the transmission & distribution of renewables, water and wastewater. It was the world’s highest ranked utility of 2020 and the top ranked Canadian company on our list in 10th spot, bolstered by top quartile water efficiency, safety record, and female representation on the board.
- Bombardier Inc earned 27.5% of its revenue the sales of electric, hybrid and diesel transportation vehicles such as light rail vehicles, metros, commuter and regional, diesel intercity trains, high speed and very high-speed trains, locomotives (electric, hybrid and diesel) and the signalling and mainline systems for transportation vehicles.
- The Bank of Montreal beat out all other Canadian banks by earning 2.8% of its revenue underwriting green and sustainability bonds, interest from renewable energy and community development loans for women and Indigenous communities, and responsible investment revenue from the Women in Leadership Fund and the Sustainable Opportunities Global Equity Fund (formerly BMO Fossil Fuel Free Fund). It doesn’t sound like much, but the average bank earns closer to less than half a per cent from similar sources.
- Cascades Inc. earned 81.5% of its revenues from products made of recycled paper/fibres, with a focus on post-consumer recycling.
- Canadian National Railway, one of Bill Gates favourite stocks, earned 80.9% of its revenue from hauling nonfossil fuel goods across the continent.
- Edmonton-headquartered construction services company, Stantec Inc., earned 34.4% of its revenue from constructing transit, water and wastewater treatment facilities and renewable energy projects.
- Sun Life Financial earned 1.2% of its revenue through investments in renewable energy projects, green buildings and energy efficiency measures, water management, and transportation, making it the highest ranked publicly-traded Canadian insurance company.
- IGM Financial’s investment funds is the top-scoring Canadian investment services company with 2.9% of its investments in sustainable solutions such as renewable energy companies, and electric or hybrid transportation companies, substantially higher than peer investment companies.
- Canadian Solar Inc. earns 100% of its revenue from the manufacturing of solar panel and related products.
- Cogeco Communications earns an above average portion of its revenue from energy efficient data centres in Ontario and the U.K.
- Teck Resources Limited was the top ranked mining company thanks to its copper, lead, silver and zinc production, metals used in the construction of wind turbines, solar panels and electric vehicles.
- Telus Corporation is significant investor in renewable energy to power its energy hungry data centres and has energy efficient data centres in Quebec and BC.
To view the full original article by Toby Heaps, click here: https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/01/27/the-global-100-twelve-of-the-worlds-most-sustainable-companies-are-right-here-in-canada.html