What is the Green New Deal?
It is not a bill. It is not legislation. It is not a policy proposal. It is a first step in understanding the shared global environmental problem we all face.
“The Green New Deal is a long shot, but right now, is the only plan that acknowledges what is coming.”
The main ideas the Green New Deal addresses are:
- What does America need to do to solve this crisis?
- Stopping production of fossil fuels as much as technologically possible. It is too late to incrementally move away from fossil fuels.
- Rethinking the ways we use energy.
- De-Carbonizing is a huge ask of society especially in a time of economic uncertainty. The second part of the New Deal is a set of promises to protect the public from this transition.
- Promises of basic economic freedom to all members of society
- Ensuring everyone receives the same economic opportunity and those with the most economic and social barriers are not worst off.
Link to original source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxIDJWCbk6I