What incentives are available for solar panel installation in Alberta?

Alberta’s Micro-Generation Regulation allows consumers to produce up to 5MW of their own electricity. Excess electricity can be sold to the grid at retail or market prices, depending on the needs of the consumer. Energy Efficiency Alberta provides incentives through the RCSP for renewable generation of $0.90/W to help residential and commercial consumers reduce installation and maintenance costs.


Once your solar installation is complete, your energy retailer will install a bi-directional meter in your home for free which will allow you to export and import electricity to and from the grid. Since the energy retail market is de-regulated in Alberta, you have the opportunity to find a retailer that might be willing to buy you solar power in the summer months for more than they will sell it back to you in the winter months. The power is in your hands!

Edmonton, Banff and Canmore offer local solar incentives in addition to the RCSP!

Click here to learn more about Edmonton’s incentive!
Click here to learn more about Banff’s incentive!
Click here to learn more about Canmore’s incentive!

If you live on a farm, and have the appropriate Electrical Distribution Rate Class for Farms, you are eligible for funding! The incentives for the On-Farm Solar Photovoltaics Program are as follows:

  • For systems ≤ 100kW, receive $0.75/W to a maximum of 35% of eligible cost share
  • Fort systems 100.01kW – 150kW, receive $0.56/W to a maximum of 27% of eligible cost share

To learn more, click here!

The Alberta Indigenous Solar Program (AISP) is a program that provides grants to Alberta Indigenous communities or Indigenous organization to install solar photovoltaic (PV) systems on facilities owned by the community or organization. The AISP provides funding for up to 80% of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $200,000 per project. Applicants can access other non-Government of Alberta funded programs to cover the remaining 20% of the project costs. The maximum funding stacking level is 100% of eligible costs.

To learn more, click here!

What about Saskatchewan?

Saskatchewan’s Net Metering Program allows residents to generate their own power and save money. Residents, farms, and businesses capable of generating up to 100kW of power can receive a one-time rebate of 20% of eligible costs up to a maximum of $20,000 until November 30th, 2018.

Click here to learn more about the Net Metering Program!

There is also a Small Power Producers Program in Saskatchewan that allows produces to sell all or some of their renewably produced power to the grid. This program has reached its capacity maximum and is currently not accepting applications.

What about BC?

BC Hydro allows Net Metering for solar systems up to 100 kw, which allows someone to install PV on a home or business and feed the surplus into the grid. The energy exported to the grid is credited at the published retail rate and will appear as a credit on your account.

The Province of BC provides Provincial Sales Tax (PST) exemptions on renewable energy equipment including solar energy equipment. This includes panels, inverters, and supplementary wiring components.